Sunday, February 12, 2017

TO CN


The Ophelias
Creature Native
Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise has a subscription series.  I subscribed just out of curiosity.  I like them and I don’t think music should be obscure either.  This series, “White Noise”, runs for a year, with a different known musician curating each of the twelve releases.  Up first:  Yoni Wolf’s selection, The Ophelias, an all woman, all teen band from Cincinnati.

This blend of chamber pop/folk rock is wonderful.  Quiet, understated, sad, yet with a dry wit, the band shows much promise.  I hope they stay together.  Such a good start shouldn’t be wasted.  I especially like their take on "These Days", closer to the Velvet Underground’s version than the original.  Jackson Browne wrote this when he was 19, so who better than a band of teens to cover it, make his cynicism their own, and turn the lyrics into wry humor?

Andrea Weiss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive