Friday, May 24, 2019

Josh Ritter

Josh Ritter
Fever Breaks
Pytheas Recordings

I’ve liked everything I’ve heard by Ritter, but his new singles, “Old Black Magic” and “I Still Love You (Now And Then),” grabbed me more than most. So I took the plunge and was rewarded with a great album.

Ritter is backed by the 400 Unit, Jason Isbell’s band. Isbell produced the album. They do a fine job on songs that are by turns political, dark, haunted, and lovelorn, adding just the right amounts of polish and grit. Ritter’s heartfelt, graceful singing and lyrics lend everything extra warmth. I do think he’s never sung better.

The singles are some of the best I’ve heard all year. I give the nod to “I Still Love You” over “Magic,” but both are worthy on an album by one of Americana’s finest songwriters.

Andrea Weiss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive