Monday, March 4, 2013


DJ Spoko
Ghost Town EP
True Panther

I don’t feel entirely qualified to review this, as I know very little about house music of any kind. I did like the solemn tone of the music. You can dance to this, but because Spoko is South African, there is a lot more going on than just dancing. This is music to think to. The best example is “I Remember” (featuring G-Dog) where each lines starts off with “I remember, my Grandpa used to say…”  Then you realize they’re talking about Apartheid.  South Africa is a land of many great things, but never forget the past.

I’m not sure if “fun” is the best way to describe the rest of these songs, but Azange    (ft. Magaula & Puzuzu) Batauweng (ft. Kapa Kapa) are very upbeat, and “Sounds of our 4fathers” is a gentle way to bow out.  All in all, a very good English language debut from someone on a rapid rise, and may whatever he does next be just as good as this EP.
Andrea Weiss






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive