Thursday, December 9, 2021

 Eliza Gilkyson

Wanderin’ video

Howling Dog Records


This is another wonderful single from Gilkyson. The lyric video is one long shot from a car traveling down a wooded road in the fall, trees turning color, a mountain pass, few cars passing by. The lyrics are about rambling from place to place, never finding a home, by choice, being a free person. It’s an adaptation of an old Irish ballad that her dad’s band, Terry Gilkyson and The Easy Riders, recorded in 1958.


Eliza had this to say about the song: "I always loved this song, especially my dad’s version, but I wanted to rewrite it from a woman’s perspective. We women like to wander too, but you rarely hear about that in those early folk songs. I set it in the Old West, because that's where I had my happiest roaming days, and I think it makes a great Western rambling song."


She and Don Richardson sing and play all the instruments on the track, but the sound is rich and full, which adds to the enjoyment of the song. Go get the full album when its released January 14, 2022.


Andrea Weiss


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive