Sunday, July 10, 2022

 I first became aware of Bob Burger and the Weeklings with their live album In Their Own Write. Their sound is very likably 60s. His solo work is more modern. Both are 60s and modern in the best ways, and one can never go wrong with that.


Bob was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.


Andrea Weiss: I know your work from the Weeklings. What made you want to record a solo album?


Bob Burger: I had actually started this project prior to the formation of The Weeklings, and put it on hold to concentrate on making Weeklings records. The downtime afforded by Covid gave me some extra time to complete the album. But even without Covid, I would have eventually finished it anyway. I love The Weeklings! But the solo album allows me to stretch in some different directions, and to work with some other musicians with whom I am also very close.



AW: Is this your first solo album?


BB: No, this is actually my fifth solo album. Although this is the first that will be released by Jem. This album is really a continuation of my previous solo album, The Day After.



AW: I do hear a bit of Fountains Of Wayne in your sound, which is good. Are they an influence? Any other influences?


BB: I can’t say the FOW are a direct influence. I love their music, but really didn’t have it in my head for this one. I have lots of classic influences: Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Petty… All the greats. But there are also songs on this album that I would be hard pressed to point to any particular influence.



AW: Your songs here are so heartfelt, which I like. Do you always write songs like that?


BB: I certainly try to! I like songs with a little gravity and deeper meaning.



AW: “Pain In The Ass” is funny. Was that about someone in particular, or people in general?


BB: It’s a conglomerate of a number of people I’ve met in my life. Probably some that you’ve met too! When I came up with the idea, it seemed like a pretty universal concept!



AW: Will the Weeklings make another album too? 


BB: Hopefully lots. We recently recorded basic tracks for seven new songs we are working on.



AW: Do you have any plans to tour?


BB: I’ll be touring with The Weeklings and Max Weinberg. I’ll also be doing solo dates, but they will likely be limited to the Jersey Shore area.



AW: What would you tell someone just starting out in music?


BB: Stay in school, kids! Seriously, music is a difficult business and you have to work really hard. I wished I had practiced guitar more when I was younger. And if you’re a songwriter, you have to write lots of songs and really practice that. Don’t expect you first songs to be great. The more you write, the easier and better it becomes. Knowing a bit about business doesn’t hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive