Friday, October 21, 2022

 The Cynz are a new band to me, but if they’re anything like their featured single, “Narrow Hips,” their upcoming album will be great. It's good punk, the best kind.


Cyndi Dawson, lead singer and songwriter for the band, was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.


Andrea Weiss: Tell us about the animator for the video, Christina Brancella. I like how everyone gets together at the end and the ladies make their peace. Did you have that kind of story line in mind, or was that scenario created by the animator and producer?


Cyndi Dawson: We were looking for an animator and a friend told me her niece went to school for that. I contacted her, she sent me her Instagram account with some of her artwork, which I liked, so I sent her the song. I wanted something cute and ‘summery.’ She eventually sent me some story boards and I loved her concept, so I told her have fun and surprise me. I trusted her ability.



AW: “Narrow Hips” is nicely punk. Who are your influences?


CD: I have an eclectic bunch of influences, but I’d say Jim Carroll, Patti Smith, The Runaways, Bowie, The Stooges, and even The Distillers. I love Brody Dalle! I love Courtney! Henry has his own influences, so our music is a combination of those.


AW: How did the band form?


CD: Henry and myself have been friends since I was 15, but our lives often went in separate directions. Somehow we’d always run into one another again. I was a poet doing shows with a band. Ran into Henry after many years. He said if I ever needed a guitar player to call him, so eventually I started working with him. He suggested I sing my pieces and that became The Cynz! Now we cross lines where sometimes I come up with music or harmony ideas and he will change or add words. We are true collaborators.



AW: Where in New Jersey are you from? I ask because I’m originally from Jersey myself.


CD: I was born in Newark. My family moved, divorced, but I was always in New Jersey.



AW: Will there be an album with “Narrow Hips” on it?


CD: Yes, we are almost halfway done recording and writing it. We hope to release it in early 2023. It will be our fifth album!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive