Saturday, January 14, 2023

 I first head The Cynz on their single “Narrow Hips” and wanted to hear more. And more is this wonderful cover of “Tell That Girl To Shut Up,” originally by Holly and the Italians. But don’t take my word for it. The single is on Amazon, so head over there and listen.


The band was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.


Andrea Weiss: Why did you record this song?


Cyndi Dawson: Marty Scott (Jem) suggested we cover this song. I wasn’t thrilled by the idea, because it was already an iconic 80’s song and I really like writing our own songs. But I said I’d listen and give it some thought. Marty has a good instinct. I went home and listened a few times and I could hear how we’d do it. I spoke to Henry Seiz, co-founder and song partner for The Cynz, and I said, “Let’s make it sound like The Cynz while still honoring Holly.” I think we accomplished that very well. We had great fun in the studio with this and it only took us a few hours. We all just fell in. It came very naturally to us. Mike Wretched on drums and Dave U.Hall on bass immediately loved it. Jerry Ramos at Mercury Studios in Rahway did an incredible job getting the sound right.



AW: This really is a lost classic, with a woman, Holly Beth Vincent, playing lead guitar, a rarity when it came out in the 80’s.


CD: There were many women playing instruments in the 80’s in bands like The Go-Go’s, etc. They certainly paved the way for the 90’s bands like Hole, L-7, etc. I’ve always been a champion for women in pop and rock although I do not play a single instrument. I took drums in grade school, but was quickly pushed out by the guys. They were brutal. It’s a shame because I could have been very good at it. Once I became a dancer I just enjoyed the freedom of movement without anything encumbering me. So I have no interest in playing an instrument on stage. Thank goodness I have very good ones around me!!



AW: Did you want to spotlight other women? Do you, like me, wish that more women played power pop?


CD: I feel that just by being a front woman I am an example. I ran a music and poetry series for many years, where I spotlighted many women, called Poets and Angels. So I’ve always enjoyed other creative women around me. But I’m not really competing with the men. I’m simply competing with myself to strive constantly to be as genuine as possible and to always give the audience a great experience.  As far as wanting more women in power pop, I want more women in all genres. We are a band you can’t put a label on. Our music has rock/punk/pop punk and even 60’s influences. I’d like to see women getting as many opportunities as men, but in my experience, I think we are, more than ever. We are getting there.



AW: Would you say that this is a mean girls anthem?


CD: I considered this question when I considered taking this song on, but clearly it is done with great humor.  It would be a mistake to take the words too seriously. It’s a fun song. It’s a tantrum. It’s a jealous girl having a jealous tantrum and I would not have sung this had I believed it was a girl who really would act on their tantrum. It’s very juvenile, actually, in such a fun way. Haven’t we all felt this way at one time? I have!



AW: Would you consider doing more covers?


CD: I would prefer to mostly do my own songs. Writing is part of what I do. I’m a published poet that has traveled internationally with musicians to do spoken word performances. I began very young as a performance artist in New York doing my own pieces. So writing is part of why I do this. However, yes, if it’s the right song I’d cover an occasional song. The decade is not important to me. How I hear it as a Cynz sound is much more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive