Wednesday, August 14, 2024

 Mark Bacino’s new album Top of the World is compact and powerful, a fun, flowing good time that never flags. I enjoy it very much, and feel sure you will too.


Mark was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.


Andrea Weiss: For those who don’t know you, could you give a short history of your music career? 


Mark Bacino: Sure. I’ve been playing music since my early teens. Played in bands in high school and college and began writing songs and recording a bit around that time as well. After college I struck out as a solo artist and recorded a few self-released EPs that led to my landing a deal with an independent record label. In 1998 my debut album Pop Job was released and I’ve been writing, recording and performing ever since, with four long players to my credit including my latest, Top of the World.



AW: Who are your influences?


MB: That’s a tough question to answer as I’ve been influenced by so many great artists across many different musical genres. To keep it simple, I suppose the obvious influences would be The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and Harry Nilsson. The not so obvious would be acts like The Police, The Cars, Crowded House, and Hall & Oates. I was a teenager in the 80s so a lot of pop bands from that era had a huge impact on me. Although in listening to my work now, you’d never know that. Same could be said for jazz; I’m a big fan and listener of the genre.



AW: Your music is very 60s-like. Do you like that decade the most? If not, what is your favorite decade for music?


MB: I think you’re right, my music definitely draws from and has its fair share of retro 60s-70s vibes. I certainly love the music of that time. and I don’t think I’m alone when I say I feel some of the best music that’s ever been made has come to us as a result of those two decades. I also think the 80s were an interesting and fun time for pop music as well.



AW: I like how the album is short, but complete. Was a 23 minute album what you had in mind?


MB: I can’t honestly say I’ve ever put too much thought into the total length of the records I create. I suppose I make short albums because I tend to favor tight, succinct song structures in my writing. Consciously aiming to cut the fat in the construction of the tunes. This practice, more often than not, leads to the rendering of compositions more concise in nature. Short songs, thus short albums.



AW: “I Like Wearing Clothes” is fun and the novelty value is good. Was the inspiration for the song self-explanatory?


MB: Pretty much. For whatever reason, I’ve never been much of a shorts or shirtless kind of guy. Perhaps a manifestation of some larger, deep-seated insecurity. That said, I don’t think I’m alone in this particular brand of hang-up. I believe a lot of folks also feel this way. So, ultimately, I hope the song - while strongly tongue in cheek - is relatable.



AW: I like your song titles. Was it always your aim to be clever with them? 


MB: I don’t think it’s been a conscious aim, per se. I do, however, find humor, more and more, a valuable asset in my songwriter’s toolkit. Especially useful when broaching darker or heavier subject matter. I think humor takes the edge off these topics a bit. Makes them a little more palatable. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down and all that.



AW: Do you plan to tour?


MB: Unfortunately, I don’t think a full-blown tour is in the cards for this album release. Given my current family and work obligations the road is not a sustainable option at the moment. Touring is also expensive, and something independent artists or artists on smaller labels, such as myself, find harder and harder to do these days. However, I do think my band and I will, most likely, do some shows in our local New York City area to celebrate Top of the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive