Friday, August 20, 2021

 When I heard Danny Wilkerson’s solo album Wilkerson I immediately thought of Jellyfish, a band I hadn’t heard since the 90s, so I listened again and realized Wilkerson is just as good. The same goes for Jason Faulkner and Aimee Mann’s 90s albums, which Wilkerson also reminds me of. Wilkerson loves all kinds of music from the 70s through the 90s, and blends them in interesting and pleasant pop ways. He was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.

Andrea Weiss: For those who don't know your music, could you give us a short history?



Danny Wilkerson: I started my first band and began playing gigs at 13 years old, and played in a variety of bands throughout middle school and high school, and somewhere in there began to write songs. I joined The Pengwins in 1978. Within a couple of years, we were a full-time touring band, writing and recording every chance we could. We toured heavily. The band released a couple of singles. We worked hard trying to get a major label deal and actually got very close, but a shakeup at the label closed the door on that. In 1985 I left the band to start a family and simultaneously started a management company. I began managing the band while still seeking a record deal. I never stopped playing music locally, and continued to write and record at home and with others, which included a couple of singles and CD releases. Once, while in LA to meet with Rick Derringer, I was invited to sing background vocals on Weird Al Yankovic’s “Spam” as part of the UHF album. Fast Forward. It was always kind of a dream of mine to do a solo record. Years later I had the opportunity to write with the incredibly gifted artist Bleu McAuley and it was just a fantastic experience. Long story short, after several successful writing sessions the decision was made to do an album with Bleu. During the process, I had the chance to work with Roger Joseph Manning Jr. and so many other amazing people that are part of the Wilkerson album. 





AW:  Who are your influences? 



DW: It all started with The Beatles for me! The first time I saw them on Ed Sullivan I was hooked. Other than The Beatles, my biggest early influences were the British invasion (Kinks, Rolling Stones, Who, etc.) and then late 60s to early 70s Motown artists (Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder). I have also been very influenced by the likes of James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, CSN&Y, and Randy Newman, and so many others. This is a hard question to answer in a few words. I have an insatiable appetite for music and very eclectic taste. I have over 8,500 vinyl records (and about 6,000 CD’s) in my collection of every kind of music imaginable, that I have been listening to and collecting since I was a kid. I will never be able to get enough of it. All of it has had an influence on me in one way or another and still does.





AW: Your music sounds very 70s, which I like a lot. What 70s artists inspired it the most?  



DW: I was all over the map in the 70s--Big Star, Harry Nilsson, Leon Russell, The Raspberries, Badfinger, Cheap Trick, Queen, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Free, Todd Rundgren, Artful Dodger, Alice Cooper, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Joe Jackson, Devo, Tom Petty, Sly and The Family Stone, The Residents, T.Rex. So much great music!





AW: Your music also sounds very 90s--say, Aimee Mann, Jellyfish, and Jason Faulkner--which is great. Were any of them inspirations?



DW: YES to all of the above!!! Additionally, I love Radiohead, The Grays, Squeeze, Matthew Sweet, Teenage Fanclub, Tommy Keene, and Fountains of Wayne to name a few. Speaking of Jason Faulkner, the lead break on “She Goes To Bed” is one of my very favorites. I would love the opportunity to work with him someday.





AW: I like how your lyrics are happy and positive, for the most part. Do you always try to write like that?



DW: I’m so glad you noticed that. It definitely plays a big part of my thought process in writing. I really hope to lift the spirit of the listener. When I was younger, I tended to write more about worry, angst and frustration. Nowadays, I just feel there is enough negativity out there and life is too short, so I try to lean towards a little more positive with most of the music.





AW: Conversely, I like how sometimes your lyrics aren't so happy. Do you want a mix of positive and not so positive?



DW: Yes and no. “Endless Haze” is a pretty serious song about an alcoholic trying to escape his addictive method of escape. Even though the topic is heavy, the lyrics are somewhat lighthearted. Honestly, I try to put a positive spin even on the more serious songs on the record. “Your Days are Numbered” was written the day I found out I had been diagnosed with cancer (I am completely well now!). That day was a very emotional one, wondering where my life might go moving forward and the impact it was going to have on my family and loved ones. Definitely a fear of the unknown. The lyrics just flowed out very quickly on that one. Although it deals with death, the message is positive. Life on this planet is short and precious. Make every day count for the best.





AW: How did the joint release with Spyderpop and Big Stir come about?



DW: I believe the partnership was born out of a mutual love of music and looking for the best way to get that music to as many people as possible. I also believe it is going to prove to be a beautiful thing as the owners of both are incredibly supportive people and have the same musical taste and vision. I am proud to be associated with them as well as all my label-mates!





AW: What advice would you give to someone just starting out in music?



DW: Surround yourselves with people that love music. Don’t be intimidated by others that may have a higher musical skill level than you or a better understanding of the technical or business side of it. Soak up all that you can from them. Most of them are happy to share. Be open to all kinds of music. Be aggressive in your pursuit.  It sounds cliché but be yourself, believe in yourself and dream big!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive