Sunday, December 18, 2022

 I am a long time fan of The Bye-Bye Blackbirds, and their new single takes them to new heights. So do the videos that illustrate them. If you like power with your pop, I would check them out.


Bradley Skaught, the leader of the band, was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.


Andrea Weiss: "The Girls Walk” is a heavy rocker, which I like. Am I right about the lyrics being feminist?


Bradley Skaught: Yes! I'm so glad you picked up on that and pointed it out. It's largely about toxic masculinity -- it's kind of a snarky song, I think, and hopefully the humor and withering sarcasm comes across properly. Definitely seems like a feminist song to me.



AW: “Fold Up Your Maps” is a good contrast, more jangle rock/pop. I know it’s the B-side, but could this be considered a double A-side single?


BS: It could for sure. It's more just a fun artifice to label them as A-sides and B-sides since it's not even a physical object. I think we may have gone with the darker, more difficult song as the A-side because that's how we generally like to shoot ourselves in the foot. But you're right, both songs are strong and could easily be hit singles!



AW: I love the images in the “Maps” video, as the heart looks almost like it’s dancing. Who did the animation and where did the idea come from? The same goes for “The Girls Walk” video, with the background swirling behind a silhouette of a stiletto heel shoe, the space between the heel and toe changing images. Where did the idea come from for that?


BS: Both of the videos were made by Marry Waterson, who we've worked with before (and is an exceptionally great musician and artist all on her own, as well.) I really try to stay out of the way and let her respond to the songs. She asks for lyrics, sometimes she'll ask a few questions about the lyrics or potential themes, but really it's her vision that comes across in the videos. It's always surprising and always feels really right on. I'm not sure exactly where the specific imagery comes from, but they feel connected to the lyrics to me for sure. 



AW:Will these songs be on an upcoming album?


BS: I haven't thought quite that far ahead, really. We just put an album out earlier this year, and a little live EP, too, so we've kind of done a lot for one year! The idea of a whole new album seems far off, but we have a substantial backlog of new songs -- will they make up an album or be little singles? Not sure yet. For the time being it's just fun to get some more new stuff out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive