Sunday, December 11, 2022

 Popular Creeps have just put out their debut All Of This Will End In Tears, and it really is something else. It recalls the Replacements and Hüsker Dü at their best, so if you like those two band, you’ll like the Creeps. I do, a lot, so I was glad to find this.


The band was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.


Andrea Weiss: How did the band form?


Lenny Grassa: I answered an ad on craigslist from three guys looking for a singer/guitarist. They were into the same kind of bands that I was, so, I gave it a shot. At first, I didn’t think much of it, but over a month or so of getting together I thought there was something that could come of it. And even if it didn’t, it was cool to hang out with like-minded musicians.


Andrew Colvin: Neighborhood friends placed an ad in craigslist looking for a contract killer. Ended up with a guitarist.



Andrea: Who are your influences?


Lenny: There are many but probably at top of the list are The Kinks, Cheap Trick, The Clash, The Dream Syndicate, The Replacements, GBV, Hüsker Dü.


Andrew: Every classic rock band/British Invasion band except Zeppelin, mid-80s college rock.



Andrea: I hear the Stooges and MC5 in your music. Do either of those bands stand out for you? 


Lenny: I love both bands. I’ve probably listened to The Stooges more and have seen Iggy play probably 25 times. I even got to go on a brief tour with him in the 90’s.


Andrew: I like and appreciate both but it’s more Regional pride than Actual musical influence.



Andrea: I also hear the Replacements. How do they factor in?


Lenny: They are big for me. They put the punk attitude together with great pop songwriting, along with other bands of that time -- Hüsker Dü, etc.


Andrew: Heavily. The good, bad, and ugly.



Andrea: Your lyrics are positive punk, which I like. Did you want to make them as rough as possible?


Lenny: For me, that’s just the way they come out. I can’t say I have a plan to be any way in particular. It usually starts with the music and that leads to a feeling and lyrics.


Andrew: I like writing lyrics but not talking about them. I rarely start a song with any intentional topic or theme.



Andrea: And did you want them to be positive, or just punk?


Lenny: They go where they need to go… I hope.



Andrea: Does your name come from the Chris Mars song "Popular Creeps?"


Lenny: It does indeed.


Andrew: Chris who?



Andrea: Do you plan to tour? 


Lenny: Maybe… just in a regional Midwest way.


Andrew: Tour? No, but maybe occasional shows outside of Detroit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive